Hunting enthusiasts consider elk to be one of their favorite deer species to hunt, and therefore, hunting elk has become famous not only because of a thrilling hunting experience but also because of how fascinating this animal is. However, it is essential to note that if you want an excellent elk hunting experience, then you need to make sure that you have the right elk hunt rifle and other equipment.
An important question that may arise for elk hunting is which elk hunting rifle might be the best, as there is a wide variety of rifles in the market, and all of these have their own different features to consider. Therefore, it is up to you to go for the one that offers you the best elk hunting experience.
Here are some of the best elk hunting rifles that you should consider when you go for elk hunting.
List of top elk hunting rifles
The majority of hunters would like to have an affordable rifle that is capable of hunting an 800-pound beast from a long distance and is indestructible. People also look for the one that may look as good as it shoots. Out of the following rifles, you will definitely find the best elk hunt rifle that is close to meeting all your hunting needs.
Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker
This is a bolt-action model by Browning that can be found in short as well as the long action calibers, and when it comes to elk hunting, you can never go wrong with Composite Stalker. It is an excellent option for those hunters who tend to move and perform like a boss at a 100 yards distance. With a fiberglass graphite composite grip, a black rubber butt pad, and a synthetic straight stock, A-Bolt Composite Stalker is undoubtedly a beauty to have.
The rifle is designed in such a way that it will not only look good but also perform well. It is known for its accuracy, and its 3-leaf express sights offer you an accurate aiming perspective. The rifle's design is lightweight, weighing just 7 pounds, making it the best elk hunting gun for moving around.
- 7-pound weight
- The rifle is extremely accurate and the 3-leaf express sights offer a lot of aiming perspectives.
- It is indestructible as it has a composite stock with an aluminum alloy receiver.
- There is a lot of scope for customization
- The rifle is indestructible
- The scope can be switched for night vision
- It is extremely accurate
- A bit expensive as compared to other models in this category.
Kimber Model 84M Classic
84M Classic weighs just around 5.5 lbs. and is a superb bolt-action hunting rifle. It sports stainless steel barrels and is quite unique among the majority of Model 84Ms. This elk hunt rifle features match-grade barrels, trigger crowns, and a bolt that has a Mauser claw extractor. It is an unbeatable option for elk hunting because of its Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad and adjustable trigger.
The Mauser claw extractor ensures you have a smooth action. The rifle offers excellent accuracy through its 3-leaf express sights, which are adjustable.
- The metal finish is matte blue
- It has a match trigger that can be adjusted to your desired range.
- Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad ensures you remain comfortable after firing the gun for prolonged periods of time.
- Extremely accurate and reliable option with an adjustable trigger and recoil pad feature.
- Not good enough for those who prefer aluminum alloy receivers as they do not provide much stability whatsoever.
Marlin Model 338 MXLR
MXLR is a lever-action rifle that offers you a relatively flat trajectory as well as pinpoint accuracy. The Ballard rifling, 24" barrel of stainless steel, a fluted bolt, and a hammer block safety make Marlin Model 338 a viable choice for game hunting. Because of its long-range precision, the majority of hunters consider this rifle to be the boss. MXLR is a durable and well-designed rifle that weighs just 6.5 pounds. The sights can be switched from standard to night vision, making this elk hunting gun an excellent choice for the hunters who enjoy night raids on animals in their habitat.
- The barreled action has a high gloss blued finish which makes it extremely attractive as well as durable.
- It sports excellent accuracy through its Ballard rifling of 24" barrel of stainless steel, fluted bolt, and hammer block safety.
- MXLR offers you great stability by weighing just 6.5 pounds with 243 Win cartridges of 20 rounds each.
- A very accurate option for those looking to hunt at long ranges without too much hassle or effort.
- The rifle is extremely sturdy and has a high gloss-blued finish.
- It may be too powerful for those looking to hunt at close ranges as the recoil is quite intense.
- The price of the rifle can also be an issue as it is relatively expensive as compared to other rifles in its category.
Remington Model 673 Guide Rifle
Remington 673 is another bolt-action rifle that can pack a wallop. The favorite of the most hunters is the one that is chambered for .350 Remington magazine because of the superior shooting quality. It has a 22" barrel and a Leopold quick release base, making it a premium rifle compared to the competitors. It might be off-putting to some as it kicks pretty hard, but with an unconventional look, it indeed is a well-made gun.
- The metal finish is matte blue which makes it extremely durable.
- It has a very strong recoil because of its fluted magnum steel barrel that measures 22" in length.
- Remington 673 comes with Leopold quick release bases making it an ideal choice for hunters who would like to switch their rifles' scopes quickly.
- Does not require too much maintenance as the metal finish is matte blue which also ensures durability.
- The rifle weighs just 7 pounds, thus giving you great handling capabilities.
- There are plenty of scope options available so you embark on your hunting journey easily and conveniently without having to worry about anything else apart from shooting down your prey swiftly.
- The recoil can be really intense as the rifle weighs just 7 pounds and it is a magnum caliber gun.
Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe
Vanguard Deluxe resembles Mark V Deluxe by Weatherby because of the beauty of the wood design. It indeed has exceptional bolt action, a classic black finish, and when you chamber .270 Win rounds in it, you will surely get the best out of it. Although it is a bit heavier as compared to the other rifles, it is still a compact and lightweight elk hunt rifle.
- It is chambered for .270 Win rounds, thus making it an ideal choice for the larger game other than elk because of the extreme power of this caliber.
- The bolt action of the rifle is extremely smooth which ensures that you embark on your hunting expedition without any issues whatsoever.
- It has a flat matte black metal finish which makes it look stylish and definitely durable.
- Weatherby rifles are known to be stylish so if you would like to get an elegant-looking rifle then this might be the best option available in the market.
- The price factor may also attract some hunters as it is quite reasonably priced when compared to other models in its category.
- It may seem too heavy for youth hunters who are looking for something light.
- It is also not too fitting to use in the woods when hunting as it does not have any camouflage on it.
When you buy the best elk hunt rifle, its caliber, price, and range are among the most critical factors you need to consider. It is a good idea to go for a versatile product that can be suitable for different hunting occasions. A good hunting rifle is one that not only ensures your safety but also enhances your hunting experience. So, before making your investment, you need to search the market and choose the one that you find best according to your needs.